When you book space, we’ll send you The Room Rules (how to use The Room and some general info to help keep it lovely for all who use it)… here’s a sneak peek.
Before you arrive…
- Payment: due one week prior to your rental. Venmo us at newgeorges or mail a check to:
- New Georges, 222 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10038
- Payment confirms that you agree to and understand these rules;
- Don’t forget, you can’t book again until any and all outstanding invoices are paid in full.
- Cancellations: Cancel at least 48 hours prior to your rental for a full refund; cancel less than 8 hours in advance, and you’ll receive a 50% refund. The Room is popular, and if you won’t be using it, we’ll get someone else in there working!
- Large items/freight: Bringing in hefty props (i.e. big bins, rehearsal furniture)? You’ll need to use the freight elevator! The entrance is on 36th Street between 7th and 8th And plan ahead: the hours are Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm and Saturday from 8am to 2pm, and they’re very strict.
- Access: You just need one key! It’s stored in locker number 23 in the kitchen on the 3rd floor, across from The Bruce Mitchell Room. The lock combination is 20-22-4. (Sometimes the door to The Room sticks when you try to open it – just keep working it, you’ll get there!)
- Check In: Please remind collaborators and guests that they’ll need a government-issued photo ID to enter the building.
- The address of The Room
520 8th Avenue, 3rd Floor, in ART/New York’s Spaces at 520. Between 36th and 37th streets in the heart of the Garment District!
While you’re here…
- Don’t use spike tape on the fancy blue floor. Use blue painters tape only to tape out the space. Or else!
- Don’t chew gum.
- Don’t touch or open the windows – they don’t support weight.
- Don’t touch the copier – it’s under repair.
- Clean up your messes! The Room’s a community space, and it’s nice to leave it better than you found it.
- Capacity: Keep it to 30 very special people, please. Think you might have more? Call us!
HVAC: Alas, there is no way to adjust the heat or AC in The Room (not even ART/New York controls it!). Remind your collaborators to bring on the layers, for adding or shedding.
- Posting photos? Ooh, please do! And tag #theroom @newgeorges to spread the word and the LOVE!
- When possible, please include this credit line in the program for your project rehearsed or developed here: [Project name] was rehearsed [developed] in New Georges’ workspace, The Room.
- The people in the Spaces at 520 office are lovely and friendly and helpful! What happens in The Room, though, is mainly not their purview. Pipe burst?? Run right over! Looking for a music stand or extension cord? Call us and we’ll find another solution. Too hot or too cold? See note re: HVAC, above.
- Having trouble, in or about The Room? Call New Georges at 336.8077 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re checking M-F, 10 to 6.
Before you leave …
- Take out your trash & recycle, too! There are big beautiful bins right outside the door.
- Wipe up coffee rings and other spills. If you happen to spill on the floor, use the mop that’s located in the cleaning closet next to the ADA restroom.
- Stack all chairs neatly. Black chairs go on the high racks to the right of the shelf unit; all other chairs belong to the left of the shelves. They should all face the same direction, backs to backs or fronts to fronts.
- Put cubes, tables and other rehearsal items back where you found them.
- Give The Room a sweep! If it looks like it needs one it probably does. Brooms and dust pans are located near the door.
- Close the window shades.
- Don’t forget your props! If you brought in props, please take them with you (otherwise they may get thrown away). If you accidentally forgot something or you’re planning a long-term rental and would like to discuss storage, please email email@example.com.
- Take one last look around to be sure you haven’t left your water bottle, umbrella, sunglasses, sweater, script, that pizza box…
- Turn off the lights, lock the door, return the key to the locker and we’ll see you next time!
Enjoy your time in The Room!